Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Missed Call

Yesterday morning at about 8:30 I was sitting with Mary Selwyn, my mom and my sister, who had come to visit for a couple days when my mom asked if she could use my cell phone to make a call. When I picked up the phone I noticed I had a new voicemail. I thought that was weird since I didn't even hear the phone ring. Turns out it was still on vibrate from the night before. I looked at my missed call list and the call was from some 502 area code. I had no clue where that area code could even come from so I figured it was wrong number or telemarketer. So I checked the message and it was from my brother Taylor in Kentucky. My stomach got this terrible sick feeling hearing his voice and knowing that I missed the chance to talk to him. The worst part however, was knowing that I then had to turn to my mother and tell her who the call was from. Of course she immediately burst into tears. Believe me I wanted to do the same but I felt I should fight the urge as to not make the situation any worse. We tried to call the number right back but it wasn't a working number. I guess it was for outgoing calls only.

Then my grandmother called and said he had called her and she actually talked to him. The message he left me said he was "chilling and hanging out in Kentucky." He sounded great and my grandmother said he told her he was doing just fine. Now they told us we would not hear from him for at least 3 weeks so this call was a surprise. It also means that they haven't actually started the boot camp part of things. They said it would take a little while for processing so in the meantime I guess he is just hanging out. So who knows when we will hear from him again. I can almost guarantee that my mom will not be back to visit us while he is still at boot camp. I pretty sure she will be glued to that phone at all times from here on out. I cannot tell you how guilty I feel for missing that call. I feel like I took away my mom's opportunity to talk to her child that she has been crying over for the last month. I almost forced her to come visit to take her mind of this whole situation and it really came back to bite me. Plus I would have loved to talked to him too. I tried to act like it wasn't that big of a deal to me while she was here but now that they have gone back home it has really hit me how sick I am over this missed call. I pray that he will get the chance to call her again this week and I can start to feel a little better.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Aw. Please don't beat yourself up over this. It's not your fault; it was an accident. I hope ya'll do get to talk to him again soon though.