THE NICHOLS FAMILY


Saturday, August 16, 2008

An Army Graduation

Well, He did it. Yesterday my brother Taylor had his official basic training graduation. He passed everything with flying colors and for the most part he actually enjoyed it. When I asked him if he was glad basic training was over and he said, "yeah but it was fun while it lasted." I think he is really a whole new person too. Apparently, he has become a real stickler for the rules. Who would of thought? My brother, Taylor, a rule follower? Something I would have never guessed he would be. He starts his Advanced Individual Training in a week and will stay in Kentucky until January. From there he is hoping to go to South Korea.

I'm so proud of him. I never doubted he could do it. I did doubt whether or not he would be glad he did it but he obviously never did. I cannot believe my baby brother is now a soldier. I know he is going to be a wonderful soldier. He is extremely proud of himself and very serious about his new job. He is really happy and that makes us all very happy! Congratulations Taylor, I love you, miss you and am super proud of you. Hopefully we will be able to head to Kentucky for a visit soon.

Taylor's graduation was actually supposed to be two weeks ago but because they started basic late it moved the graduation back two weeks. I was really looking forward to being able to attend graduation but because it was pushed back my sister had already started Jr. High. She couldn't possibly miss four days of 7th grade so early in the year. So someone had to stay behind with her and get her to school and I was the only choice. My parents headed to Kentucky on Tuesday for a week and Mary Selwyn and set up camp in Prattville. I'm disappointed it didn't work out so that we could all go but I'm glad my parents were able to go and enjoy the whole thing just the two of them. I know they are having a much better time getting to spend quality time with Taylor without having to worry about the rest of us.

So in the meantime we have been having a pretty good week with Daphna. We are missing Shay terribly but keeping busy. I've managed to squeeze in some time with two of my best friends Amber and Megan and a play date with the Underwoods. Last night Mary Selwyn spent the night with her MeMe and PaPa and Daphna and I went to the movies. We saw Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. I absolutely loved the first one and was super excited to see the second one. I was not disappointed. I am a huge sucker for a feel good friendship movie and that is exactly what it was. I'm not sure Daphna loved it, I think she was a little bored but I thought it was great. I would love to see it again. If you are thinking you might want to see it, I highly recommend it. Today we have a full day of shopping planned. Some good sisterly bonding time. Although we have had a fun week we can't wait to get back home to daddy and our normal routine!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so proud of Taylor!!!

Carrie Friday said...

oh yay!

And I was thinking about seeing that movie. I think I will now...thanks!

Abby Euten said...

Congratulations, Taylor! I'm so very proud of him as well, I can't believe he's so grown!! And Daphna in the 7th grade!?! Zach's a freshman in high school. Seriously!!!